• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2024 Wildfire Season

Part of the issue is the numbers but also the erratic areas where folks come from. Do you build housing for 3? 5? 20,000 people in a Whitehorse/Grande Prairie/Sioux Lookout/Tutuyuktuk? That might be double the size of some communities and they don't have just the shortage of housing but also sewer/medical/groceries etc. in town to support them. It's why you'll hear of remote, fly in communities in Northern Ontario being scattered from Kenora/Thunder Bay/Sault Ste. Marie/Toronto as the hotel rooms alone limit how much can be done.

That negative aside there has been temporary camps set up (Slave Lake 2011) or use of industrial camps (Fort Mac 2016) for examples where folks were given a safe spot until a longer term solution can be created. It's not so bad in July/August where there are more empty schools/arenas that can be used but it's really tough in April when Universities and public schools are still in use.

Solutions?
  • prioritize road building to connect these remote communities. Even a single lane road + airstrip allows for dual options for escape vs. a single airstrip...especially if it's a gravel strip. It also has the potential to allow for a big drop in cost of living due to the ability to truck in essentials like groceries vs. airlift everything. This doesn't mean everything connects (my wallet just shrunk thinking about how much that'd cost) but would be an evacuation route to a second alternative location...think Fort Mac in 2016 moving residents north to the camps/airstrips up there as an interim measure until either airlift or conditions changed to allow road egress.
  • It may be appropriate to look at planning wider for emergency response than just provinces. Is High Level a local evac center or is it also the next major community for anyone evacuating from the NWT? Fort Nelson is the next major center from the Yukon via Alaska Highway. Start with a large gravel pad where a temporary camp could be set up if needed + fuel bowser + power supply. A series of pre-established staging areas might be the low cost option so that WHEN the region needs to evacuate folks know they can a) refuel vehicles regardless of budget b) have a safe place to pull over and rest c) can be an interim assembly areas for families separated and d) a solid location for an Incident Command Post/Base camp for accommodations if needed. This however would need to have all the billing pre-established so that a small town knows in advance the bill is being pad by the neighboring area/agency/town.

I tend to think in about 5 hour radius travel circles as that is "roughly" a tank of gas. IF you're in a place like Northern Ontario with longer gaps between major communities then it's a case of road hubs (including gravel options) for your mid point location. But key here is low ongoing maintenance costs as least to start.

Longer term I often think of what would happen if the CAF and Canadian Universities both went on major "dorm/barracks" housing builds. Towers of multiple bedroom "quarters" that would serve a multiple purpose role of a) reducing some of the rent pressures on CAF members if they knew there were SQ/PMQ available at a common rent rate regardless of posting b) pull some of the student housing pressure off of communities and c) in case of emergency allow for use of vacant rooms for evacuees.

I can dream of winning the lotto Max jackpot too :).
foresterab
I wasnt thinking so much as housing but just a couple 200x400 here and there, like extra arenas

I wasnt thinking so much as housing but just a couple 200x400 here and there, like extra arenas
I've spent nights in arenas...and they're okay if nothing else is available. But like you I was thinking shelter areas where - for example - a series of ranger tents and cots could be set up (beats sleeping in a truck) or a portable camp brought in.

My concern is that if you got the arena shell concept/horse barn you're now stuck with a building that is exposed to elements, will need a certain amount of cleaning/caretaking, will be significant pressure to convert to future civic needs (hey...we need a new arena and that empty shell would cut our costs in half), and frankly...who pays for it?

Maybe the solution is to do the opposite and build new needed local civic infrastructure like a school....and keep the old building intact while it still has some life in it as the shelter. Especially if access can be controlled within the building you might have a local homeless shelter in place too especially for winter? But that throws the political voting out on the priority lists and where new shiny buildings might be promised + changes some of the budgeting needs.

As with everything we need to do, all it takes is money and political will.
Need this too :(

Fires in the Flin Flon area are smoking us out in the south. Visibility is about a mile and less in some spots

35,000 ha burnt from a fire in 3 days. That one (WE010) has had some momentum going :(.

Hate being in the smoke like that...hoping we get some wind shifts (and reduced wind speed) soon.

From which? Fort Nelson is about 3300 people and logically evacs to Fort St John, maybe a five hour drive?

At the risk of being pedantic, it’s closer to 3.5-4. But I did spend 5 years driving up and down that bloody highway. ;)

I’m surprised no one is being sent to Dawson Creek. It’s only a little smaller than FSJ and 45 minutes further down the highway.

Fire crews here seem to be very quick on the draw this year. All day long I’ve seen a steady stream of helicopters heading back and forth.

Ft Mac evac'd

Evacuation order issued as wildfire threatening Fort McMurray draws closer​

Wildfire now estimated to be nearly 21,000 hectares​

Thousands of residents in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo have been ordered to leave their homes as a wildfire burning southwest of Fort McMurray continues to draw closer to the community.

Several neighbourhoods in Fort McMurray are being evacuated to make way for firefighters. The Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo issued the evacuation order Tuesday afternoon after declaring a state of local emergency.

The evacuation order is in effect for the neighbourhoods of Beacon Hill, Abasand, Prairie Creek and Grayling Terrace.

A wildfire threatening the community has now consumed nearly 21,000 hectares as shifting winds and rising temperatures continue to accelerate its growth and push the flames closer to the municipality.

All residents in the evacuation zone were ordered to leave by 4 p.m. MT, the municipality said.

To follow up on the earlier discussion on evacuation and capacity:

Evacuees are spreading further and further out due to lack of capacity in FSJ. It's not as simple as directing someone to the next town but where would they be able to establish for days/weeks?

foresterab

One news item I caught said they were considering using big work camps to house some of the evacuees... hopefully they won't be located in fire threatened areas.

It's been a long time since I've worked in NE BC and I'm not up to speed on where are all the camps at the moment. I remember quite a few that were good for 20-50 men(2 x room) and depending on where located it's pretty amazing how fast the camp companies can bring in housing for 100? 200? 400? people in hours...not days...literally hours if you're willing to pay the price.

If it's Fort Mac area that's a whole different set of options available for camps there or within the region and it's not 20-50 man camps but 1,500-9,500 man camps depending on what is going on for activity/ what facilities are shut down and many of the large projects also have their own private paved airstrips capable of 737 traffic making airlift much more flexible if needed.

That being said being evacuated sucks and not something I'd wish on any person or family.

It's been a long time since I've worked in NE BC and I'm not up to speed on where are all the camps at the moment. I remember quite a few that were good for 20-50 men(2 x room) and depending on where located it's pretty amazing how fast the camp companies can bring in housing for 100? 200? 400? people in hours...not days...literally hours if you're willing to pay the price.

If it's Fort Mac area that's a whole different set of options available for camps there or within the region and it's not 20-50 man camps but 1,500-9,500 man camps depending on what is going on for activity/ what facilities are shut down and many of the large projects also have their own private paved airstrips capable of 737 traffic making airlift much more flexible if needed.

That being said being evacuated sucks and not something I'd wish on any person or family.
the only time i was in a camp everyone had there own room and 2 rooms shared a bathroom in between them.

really depends on the camp....some are single washroom for 4-6 rooms (older style). Some are shared washroom between two rooms. Some are multiple washrooms to a wing of rooms. And then there are the fancy ones with private bathrooms.

Unfortunately alot of those camps also get used hard and wear out over time. A new camp isn't so bad but when you're in that 30 year old worn out set up with plywood patches on the floor to keep you from breaking through...less fun. Almost always still better than a tent though.

Back