• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

My god the horror, the ships have defects. Still sailing though.
I know the crews (and dare I say ISI?) are working hard to fix them, but I can't help but throw a jaded eye upon everything the GoC buys that shows up not working as it should.

I've worked for two GoC departments over the span of the last 13 years, and I would be deeply challenged to point out a single major acquisition I've been in some way shape or form involved in or beneficiary to in terms of kit received where the kit was actually functional, fit to purpose, and well made.

It's not just DND. GoC procurement is broken, and needs to be burnt to the ground. (as has been discussed at length, elsewhere)

No need to stand up for the AOPS, even us Army peasants know that they were super fucked off the line. I'd say poisoned water supply and floods are more than mere "defects".
All I can say without going into specifics is that yes the ships have defects but some have been blown out of proportion by certain members of the media however many of these defects have been rectified as thats what we do in the Navy find solutions to problems. My current "job" is sailing on all ships of the class on a regular basis and ensure they maintain their readiness. The ships are are pretty complex platforms and the most modern we have currently. Still lots of work to be done and lots to learn. The crews seem pretty happy though.

I know the crews (and dare I say ISI?) are working hard to fix them, but I can't help but throw a jaded eye upon everything the GoC buys that shows up not working as it should.

I've worked for two GoC departments over the span of the last 13 years, and I would be deeply challenged to point out a single major acquisition I've been in some way shape or form involved in or beneficiary to in terms of kit received where the kit was actually functional, fit to purpose, and well made.

It's not just DND. GoC procurement is broken, and needs to be burnt to the ground. (as has been discussed at length, elsewhere)
I don't disagree but we have them and are working on the issues. I have about 35 years in the technical side of the RCN and I was surprised on how complex they really are. Pretty cool actually.

I don't disagree but we have them and are working on the issues. I have about 35 years in the technical side of the RCN and I was surprised on how complex they really are. Pretty cool actually.
As always, something is better than nothing.

But can they land a helicopter on it? Or crane things around on deck?
51223647877_dc0fc4ebfd_k.jpg
Cyclone aboard HMCS Harry DeWolf in 2021 during SHOL trials.

From what I have gathered, the RCN cheaped out on helicopter integration from the factory on the AOPS, hence why they haven't been operating Cyclones. Unlike what many have claimed, the hangers can fit Cyclones and the huge flight decks are more than capable of landing them. They just can't do some of the major work aboard due to the lack of an overweight gantry crane.

All I can say without going into specifics is that yes the ships have defects but some have been blown out of proportion by certain members of the media however many of these defects have been rectified as thats what we do in the Navy find solutions to problems. My current "job" is sailing on all ships of the class on a regular basis and ensure they maintain their readiness. The ships are are pretty complex platforms and the most modern we have currently. Still lots of work to be done and lots to learn. The crews seem pretty happy though.
I've done tours of the class and from speaking with people aboard, I can attest to crews finding them quite enjoyable especially from the members transferred off the CPF's. Certain members of the media like to take issues which exist, exaggerate their severity and then either leave out the context or gloss over the fact they've been fixed/being fixed. Classic clickbaiting.

I have a lifetime of designing, selling installing, commissioning and operating processing plants. All of them worked. None of them couldn't be improved. And most of them needed to be improved.

And no government dollars were spent in the process.

One offs tend to be like that.

View attachment 85239
Cyclone aboard HMCS Harry DeWolf in 2021 during SHOL trials.

From what I have gathered, the RCN cheaped out on helicopter integration from the factory on the AOPS, hence why they haven't been operating Cyclones. Unlike what many have claimed, the hangers can fit Cyclones and the huge flight decks are more than capable of landing them. They just can't do some of the major work aboard due to the lack of an overweight gantry crane.

I've done tours of the class and from speaking with people aboard, I can attest to crews finding them quite enjoyable especially from the members transferred off the CPF's. Certain members of the media like to take issues which exist, exaggerate their severity and then either leave out the context or gloss over the fact they've been fixed/being fixed. Classic clickbaiting.
There are problems with helo ops that go beyond overhead cranes...

The RCN might hand wave away problems, but the RCAF does not, and to operate helos from the ships the RCAF has to be content that the standards are met.

There are problems with helo ops that go beyond overhead cranes...

The RCN might hand wave away problems, but the RCAF does not, and to operate helos from the ships the RCAF has to be content that the standards are met.
Quite aware of the trials report and the whole list of issues that need to be rectified. No one is waving anything away, these issues have to be rectified before helos can operate.

I have a lifetime of designing, selling installing, commissioning and operating processing plants. All of them worked. None of them couldn't be improved. And most of them needed to be improved.

And no government dollars were spent in the process.

One offs tend to be like that.

As you weren't using government dollars I'll assume that government folks wouldn't think they had anything to learn from you, or others. ;)

Quite aware of the trials report and the whole list of issues that need to be rectified. No one is waving anything away, these issues have to be rectified before helos can operate.
Once rectified, I think the AOPVs will be extremely useful assets for the RCN. I'm not a nay-sayer for the class, I'm just trying to be realistic about the issues that they are facing WRT helo ops.

Once rectified, I think the AOPVs will be extremely useful assets for the RCN. I'm not a nay-sayer for the class, I'm just trying to be realistic about the issues that they are facing WRT helo ops.
100%. Not why this wasn't more closely followed to ensure the defects was minimal. I did see a recent hills times story saying that the RCN is looking at not putting a helo hauldown due to cost saving.

Back