• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

what helo would be operated from the AOPS? Cyclone and Cormorant seem Iike too big and overkill. I see theres a Polar Icebreaker helo project too that seems like it wants something more than the Griffon

what helo would be operated from the AOPS? Cyclone and Cormorant seem Iike too big and overkill. I see theres a Polar Icebreaker helo project too that seems like it wants something more than the Griffon

If the AOPS is operating in the Arctic and as a national Offshore Patrol Vessel then it can be supported by shore based helicopters, particularly long ranged helicopters like the Cormorant. The Cormorant has bounced off of offshore oil rigs to conduct long range SAR missions.

The AOPS could operate in the same manner, acting as a Forward Refuelling Post.

It could also bounce Chinooks and Cyclones.

They do not need to support Cyclones unless they are deployed in foreign waters or the high seas.

If the AOPS is operating in the Arctic and as a national Offshore Patrol Vessel then it can be supported by shore based helicopters, particularly long ranged helicopters like the Cormorant. The Cormorant has bounced off of offshore oil rigs to conduct long range SAR missions.

The AOPS could operate in the same manner, acting as a Forward Refuelling Post.

It could also bounce Chinooks and Cyclones.

They do not need to support Cyclones unless they are deployed in foreign waters or the high seas.
Would you shuttle helicopters from the south or pursue the recruiting-friendly concept of stationing them permanently in the Arctic?

Can an AOPS handle a Chinook?

What the over/under of Nunavut being fully operational by Aug-September?

Anyone want to start a pool on this?
Nanisivik?

Would you shuttle helicopters from the south or pursue the recruiting-friendly concept of stationing them permanently in the Arctic?
Both. I suspect one could find some Res Tac Hel slots from Helo pilots already up there.

Paging @Good2Golf

I would assume it could do a rear wheel ‘hover’ but I don’t think it could land engine off and be stored on it. But the SME will know.

Both. I suspect one could find some Res Tac Hel slots from Helo pilots already up there.

Paging @Good2Golf

I would assume it could do a rear wheel ‘hover’ but I don’t think it could land engine off and be stored on it. But the SME will know.
AOPs was spec’s to land-on a Hook. JSS as well. Not sure about anything other than a short stop, re: tie down and replenishment. I didn’t recall those reqrs off hand. Canuck Hooks have done other big grey things (aka USN), but don’t have a comparison of capabilities between the already proven CH-147F/USN interactions and the RCN ships.

IMG_9309.jpeg

Edited to add: re: CPF/Halifax land-on…a Chinook can do a full-gear land-on to a CPF by the numbers, but I don’t if it’s been done in real-life. Hook’s gear is 22-1/2’ and would fit either sideways (better clearances) and aft to hangar (pointing nose aft). The Chinook has a small amount of negative pitch in thrust (collective on single-rotor helos) so it could ‘sort of’ hold itself down a little bit, but nowhere near the bear trap haul down to land-on in higher sea states.

Last edited:

I was thinking the helicopters from the south would follow their current basing and flight operations but with the benefit of 6 to 8 mobile bases from which they could operate and extend their range.

For example, in a Majaid(?) event, assuming that we were maintaining 3 or 4 AOPS in the region then southern Cormorants or Chinooks could have the vessels move into support positions for refuelling on the way out or for onloading survivors as Casualty Clearing Stations prior to being transshipped to a shore base and recovery down south by fixed wing.....

Etc.

G2G had alluded to the capability in the past.

The problem with a road up there isn't distance, it's terrain. The same thing that has seen the rail line up there in and out of service over the years.
I’d argue it’s the will to (a) build and (b) maintain. The railway to Churchill is a classic example, although many other examples are found all around this country.
Other countries push highways and railroads through very inhospitable terrain and climates for far less important objectives than we might have. We don’t do the same because of cost to build and cost to maintain at anything other than a 3rd world standard.

Can you imagine how badly this country will screw up maintaining a high speed rail corridor. We are about to find out, in 200 years when all the assessments and lawsuits conclude.

I’d argue it’s the will to (a) build and (b) maintain. The railway to Churchill is a classic example, although many other examples are found all around this country.
Other countries push highways and railroads through very inhospitable terrain and climates for far less important objectives than we might have. We don’t do the same because of cost to build and cost to maintain at anything other than a 3rd world standard.

Can you imagine how badly this country will screw up maintaining a high speed rail corridor. We are about to find out, in 200 years when all the assessments and lawsuits conclude.
The city of Ottawa is instructive in their Light Rail system; fully contracted out, the stations are already is disrepair, the trains although getting better have had many breakdowns, some shutting the system for weeks.

Swiss engineers were consulted on the Trans Canada in BC in the 1950s. They recommended an extensive programme of tunnelling. The government of BC opted to bang some logs into the side of the mountains and stick some asphalt on top.

The Faroes comprise 18 islands in the North Atlantic midway between the Shetlands and Iceland. They have a population of 53,000. They have a land area of 1399 km2.

The 18 islands making out the Faroe Islands has 53,000 inhabitants and now 20 tunnels, of which three are long tunnels under the sea. Two more are already under construction, and another 14 are on the drawing board or wish list.
The biggest of the future tunnel projects will be the tunnel from the southmost island of the Faroe Islands, Suðuroy, to the island of Sandoy. The tunnel is expected to cost around 3.4 billion DKK ( 450 million Euro) and will be around 22-24 kilometres (13-15 miles) long, making it the longest car traffic subsea tunnel in the world.

Roads, cars, trucks, tunnels, bridges, ferries, airports and heliports as well as their own small fleet of 6 cargo ships of various types. In addition the islands are served by ocean going ferries from Denmark and Iceland.

Last edited:
Meanwhile -

Gulf Islands in BC - 26,000 population
Vancouver Island - 864,000 population

Distance from Westham Island to Galiano Island - 28 km
Distance from Galiano to Salt Spring Island - 4 km
Distance from Salt Spring Island to Vancouver Island - 1 km.

Distance from Labrador to Newfoundland - 18 km

Back