• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

King Charles III

Sir Redvers Buller. Not sure of why you chose him, but he was a bit of a dunderhead?

Almost lost the 2nd Boer War ;)

But, to be fair, alot of British commanders were revealed to be 'wanting' in the face of Boer skill, which resulted in a comprehensive series of reforms that resulted in the BEF of WW1's overwhelmingly successful (for it's small size) performance, being recognized by the Germans as that 'Contemptable Little Army' ;)

Saw one of these on a MG at the All British Field Meet today

51zrz32K1gL.jpg

One of my favourite YouTubers has a few videos that feature him.

But, to be fair, alot of British commanders were revealed to be 'wanting' in the face of Boer skill, which resulted in a comprehensive series of reforms that resulted in the BEF of WW1's overwhelmingly successful (for it's small size) performance, being recognized by the Germans as that 'Contemptable Little Army' ;)

Indeed, I suspect it wasn't the general that lead to most of the losses, but he was a gentleman and accepted his share of the blame.

One of my favourite YouTubers has a few videos that feature him.

Indeed, I suspect it wasn't the general that lead to most of the losses, but he was a gentleman and accepted his share of the blame.
From what I have read about him, and it isn't that extensive, he seemed to get far up the ladder through friends in high places over competence, but that could be said of a lot of senior officers back then (and now....). There were a lot of troops who got a VC for doing far more than what he got his for. He certainly wasn't the worse general out there and he had some redeeming points. At least the Boers taught the Brits a few things which helped later.

Back