• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

I’m pretty sure the engineers, nurses, doctors, dentists, etc who also have to go through tertiary education appreciate being lumped in as “not producing anything”
True enough and note I said fewer, not eliminate them all.

You forgot to mention lawyers. :giggle: I think I've more than paid back for my subsidized education - which I still consider the best deal I ever got - through the taxes that I've paid over the years - as have most doctors, dentists and engineers. I'm not sure nurses get paid enough.

🍻

You forgot to mention lawyers. :giggle: I think I've more than paid back for my subsidized education - which I still consider the best deal I ever got - through the taxes that I've paid over the years - as have most doctors, dentists and engineers. I'm not sure nurses get paid enough.

🍻

The average salary for a Registered nurse is $82,681 in Vancouver, BC.

The average salary for a Registered nurse is $82,681 in Vancouver, BC.

According to the Sunshine List, my ex, and kids mother, Salary Paid: $220,098.98 last year as a "Chief Nursing Executive".

According to the Sunshine List, my ex, and kids mother, Salary Paid: $220,098.98 last year as a "Chief Nursing Executive".

How many Chief Nursing Executives are there in BC? $82k a year is not a living wage in Vancouver, B.C, not to mention having to deal with the addict riff raff of the east end.

How many Chief Nursing Executives are there in BC?

Good question.

Healthcare in Canada is delivered through the provincial and territorial systems.

I'm only ( a little bit ) familiar with Ontario.

Are you saying that those who graduate university and do nothing except slide into something like party staffer, polling firms, political consultancy etc. are basically just political parasites on the larger system of economic productivity?
Given that most social studies I come across either make me go "yeah no shit" or "nope, this is obviously wrong", yes, I lean towards the notion that most of their diplomas are useless. Also I would include a good amount of municipal, provincial and federal bureaucrats too. Individuals whose primary function is to ensure the compliance of their departments with the prevailing ideology. Political officers in everything but name, essentially.

This all ties into a financialization of the economy, mind you, related to globalization and the de-industrialization of the West in general. I'm not just sneering at kids here, I think there's an actual civilizational hazard to this path we are on.
I’m pretty sure the engineers, nurses, doctors, dentists, etc who also have to go through tertiary education appreciate being lumped in as “not producing anything”…
What part of "McKinsey, LPC staffers, CBC journalists, etc" screams "STEMM fields" to you?

Last edited:

🍻

An undergraduate degree is still strongly correlated with higher incomes: Census in Brief: Does education pay? A comparison of earnings by level of education in Canada and its provinces and territories

But...it really depends on what you study. Most BA's don't pay particularly well, and when you consider the opportunity costs, many BA students might be better off going to college or getting a trade. In general, the more science or math you do, the better your income: Census in Brief: Is field of study a factor in the earnings of young bachelor’s degree holders?

Hardly meaningful. See:
This all ties into a financialization of the economy, mind you, related to globalization and the de-industrialization of the West in general.
The GDP is higher than ever in most Western countries. Are our economies healthier? More productive? More rewarding?

Debatable.

There's people being paid upwards of 200k to "decolonize" them, though (even such countries as Poland, funnily enough). Misallocation of resources is a thing. At the micro and at the macro levels.

It seems to me we are surfing on the fruits of our predecessors' labour. Ultimately though, there is a beach.

Given that most social studies I come across either make me go "yeah no shit" or "nope, this is obviously wrong", yes, I lean towards the notion that most of their diplomas are useless. Also I would include a good amount of municipal, provincial and federal bureaucrats too. Individuals whose primary function is to ensure the compliance of their departments with the prevailing ideology. Political officers in everything but name, essentially.
“Yeah no shit” came from a background (by osmosis or otherwise) in that field. We think the earth revolves around the sun, or that the earth is round, as “yeah no shit” (for the majority of us) but that wasn’t a guaranteed thing.

I stand by the statement that things that “obviously” one way or another, or “this can simply be fixed by XYZ” are never that obvious, or simple.

This all ties into a financialization of the economy, mind you, related to globalization and the de-industrialization of the West in general. I'm not just sneering at kids here, I think there's an actual civilizational hazard to this path we are on.

What part of "McKinsey, LPC staffers, CBC journalists, etc" screams "STEMM fields" to you?
Your post started off with the insinuation that high levels of tertiary education is a net negative. What is what I was responding to.

What tertiary education do CPC staffers go through? I will bet money that they go through the same schools and programs as their LPC counterparts. Likely classmates, even, and they likely switch parties since their job is really dependent on whether their boss is still an MP or not.

Hardly meaningful. See:

The GDP is higher than ever in most Western countries. Are our economies healthier? More productive? More rewarding?

Debatable.

There's people being paid upwards of 200k to "decolonize" them, though (even such countries as Poland, funnily enough). Misallocation of resources is a thing. At the micro and at the macro levels.

It seems to me we are surfing on the fruits of our predecessors' labour. Ultimately though, there is a beach.

I don't think I disagree on what you are getting at. The reason I included the second Statscan piece is to provide some necessary nuance. Some BA programs are very close to useless to the larger economy. Universities are heavily subsidized by the provinces - depending on the school, anywhere from 20%-60% of their funding comes from government grants - and we might want to think about whether we should be spending tax dollars encouraging people to take four years pursuing a degree that leads nowhere. The ideologies associated with some of these programs are also worrying.

What tertiary education do CPC staffers go through? I will bet money that they go through the same schools and programs as their LPC counterparts. Likely classmates, even, and they likely switch parties since their job is really dependent on whether their boss is still an MP or not.
That’s the direction I was leaning. No party has a lock on the ‘university-straight-to-politics’ group of staffers, flunkies, and even candidates. The lack of real world background/experience outside of politics or things within arms reach of politics isn’t limited to any particular party or political leaning. I’ve been to university a couple times now and have seen classmates get into campus ‘young (insert party) group’ and quickly stream that way.

“Yeah no shit” came from a background (by osmosis or otherwise) in that field. We think the earth revolves around the sun, or that the earth is round, as “yeah no shit” (for the majority of us) but that wasn’t a guaranteed thing.

I stand by the statement that things that “obviously” one way or another, or “this can simply be fixed by XYZ” are never that obvious, or simple.
The phenomenon I'm describing isn't intemporal. It is germane to the current state of academia.

Contrastingly, universities were once supremely Catholic and thus conservative as many were founded first as theological colleges.

Point being, of course what seems "obvious" is so on the basis of previously ingrained knowledge. One could even say ancient or biblical knowledge.
Your post started off with the insinuation that high levels of tertiary education is a net negative. What is what I was responding to.
Yes, and I stand by that statement. But also I didn't write an exhaustive novel. Gotta take context cues. I didn't imply anywhere that tertiary should be eliminated altogether, but I did name particular fields that I took issue with. Bit of literary algebra to do there, but I believe in you.
Dunno, ask Poilievre :ROFLMAO:

I suppose the underlying issue I was getting at there is the increasingly dominant and - in my view - problematic importance of the PMO's staff, as opposed to individual MPs or even Ministers.

Back