• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Older man recruit

Calgariano

Reaction score
I’m 53 years old. I moved to Canada 10 years ago and I have become a citizen 5 years ago.

I have a great gratitude debt to this country and I’m considering joining the Army (I’m a Software Engineer and I’m bilingual which I believe are skills the Armed Forces are in need).

I don’t mind working in a uniform and I don’t mind the relocation (questions I was asked over the phone by a recruiting officer). I do however have family responsibilities that I need to take into account (I am the sole breadwinner in my family).

So these are my questions:
  • do the Armed Forces accept recruits with my age (I was under the impression 45 was the limit)?
  • will my civilian experience be consider by an Armed Forces potential offer?
  • what happens if I cannot find the conditions to accept the offer? (I do NOT want to wast the Armed Forces time on me)

So these are my questions:
  • do the Armed Forces accept recruits with my age (I was under the impression 45 was the limit)?
  • will my civilian experience be consider by an Armed Forces potential offer?
  • what happens if I cannot find the conditions to accept the offer? (I do NOT want to wast the Armed Forces time on me)
1) Every occupation has an initial Term of Service (TOS), it ranges from 3 years to 13 years depending on the occupation and enrolment plan. You must be able to complete this initials TOS prior to reaching the Compulsory Retirement Age of 60. So those aged 56 to 46 can join depending on the occupation. As of age 57, the only way you're joining the CAF is with a reserve unit; and even then most times there is a requirement to reach "deployability" within 2 years of joining.

2) Depends on the occupation; some account for civilian experience, some do not. You're best to speak directly with recruiting for this one (my background is medical so your experience is outside my area of knowledge).

3) Not sure what you're asking with the last question, but you can pull your application from the CAF anytime you want. You can decide not to join the CAF anytime you want in the process, even after you've accepted a job offer right up until you sign your enrolment paperwork, then it falls on policy to determine how long you have to spend in uniform until you release if you decide the CAF isn't for you.

Thank you for the information, da1root! You answered all my questions.

I did go the the recruitment centre and unfortunately I don't seem to be a fit for the CAF. I was looking for an Officer position somewhat related with Computer Engineering (that is my University Degree).

Apparently, those positions have a 6-year TOS and since I have family outside of Canada, the background check + TOS would put me over the 60 year old mark.

Back