• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Training Development Officer ( TDO )

Fact:  There are already more applicants to the CAF than there are jobs for them.
Fact:  Not all those applicants will pass the medical, aptitude testing, or interview process.
Fact:  After all that, there will STILL be more applicants to the CAF than there are jobs for them.
Fact:  The military recruiting machine has done a good job of identifying desirable traits in those applicants, and the training system does a good job of turning those traits into employable skills.  Those who cannot meet those requirements fail to continue into the CAF.
Fact:  After all of that, there are still more applicants to the CAF than there are jobs for them.

Those are the relevant facts, all else is conjecture and wishful thinking.

Sir Dip a lot said:
What i have been stating is that the CF would benefit from having more people consider it an option

Please explain how it would benefit the CF to have more people consider it an option. I need to understand how you have come to the conclusion that the CF would experience a net benefit from more people considering it. Since you say it is a fact, I would like to see at least some proof or evidence to back this up.

Chelomo said:
Actually, according to another thread here, there were 10 000 ROTP applicants last year for 350 positions. Quite enough people consider the CF already, as a matter of fact, there is a significant surplus of applications for many trades. The problem you seek to outline doesn't exist except in a few trades. People who have experience in the CF have been disagreeing with you throughout the thread and explaining to you why a larger pool of applicants is not exactly necessary since the dedicated ones are already there, and there's more than enough to go around. You can't seem to imagine that maybe they know about the reality and needs of the CF better than you do. While I'm never too keen on ad hominems, I think you should just accept that maybe they're correct.

LOL come on

How can anyone argue that more Canadians considering the CF as an option would be anything other than a good thing....that defies all logic

This has nothing to do with the original topic anymore...lol

:facepalm:

I suggest you read Kat's post. After all those posts I still havn't been able to discern any kind of point from your posts. You don't suggest anything to achieve your desired outcome, you don't offer facts. You seem to have tunnel vision on something you see as desirable when person after person explains to you that the limited ressources of the CF are much more needed elsewhere than augmenting the already overflowing amount of applications.

If you studied in business, then you know that ressources are limited and needs are unlimited, and what you propose is really not a priority.

And yes, this is becoming ridiculous.

Kat Stevens said:
Those are the relevant facts, all else is conjecture and wishful thinking.

I'd love to throw in another fact if I may.

FACT: It costs time and money to process applications. More applications to process means more money.

And an opinion.

OPINION: The Canadian Forces receives a much higher net benefit in a particular position from 1 employee of slightly above average intelligence who does a satisfactory job for 20 years than 10 employees of high intelligence who go above and beyond for only 2 years each before quitting.

Sir Dip a lot said:
Nevermind, disregard my post. Forces.ca has updated again and apparently im crap out of luck

In a perfect world CF would have more funding and actually make it easy for willing citizens to join. Its a travesty how little value our nation puts in the armed forces-

Maybe we just should have listened to the thread starter when he gave us the helpful advice to disregard his post. It's a shame he had to throw that extra little jab at the end there.

So, your theory is that we need to process twice the amount of applicants we already have for the limited number of jobs available?  Screening costs money, money we don't have.  that would be neither economical in terms of man hours wasted, nor efficient in terms of resources.  Where does this magical pile of money you're speaking of come from?  you are aware the government gets together now and then and decides what to spend money on, right?  It's called a "budget", there was even an article in the paper about it.

it's not just money... like you said it's time!

Peoples applications can already take over a year....imagine if that file manager had 2x the work?

LOL

Theres obviously nothing that could be said to change your minds...not even sure why I tried. I guess I thought you guys were reasonable and logical people. It is a fact that more people considering serving their country would be a good thing....you guys can say whatever you want against that point but dont worry i actually wont be posting anymore

The mob wins haha mob mentality is a good thing right?

Goodnight and I stress GOODLUCK

No need to wish me luck, good luck to you, I already got in and did my time.  Is it exhausting for you to ALWAYS be the smartest kid in the room?

Sir Dip a lot said:
LOL come on

How can anyone argue that more Canadians considering the CF as an option would be anything other than a good thing....that defies all logic
I'm quite surprised at the emotion and vitriol that this post has generated in such a short time.  In today's global knowledge economy there is competition for the best qualified employees, and although nobody has mentioned it, Canada is facing significant post-baby boom demographic challenges with its workforce.

I have to agree with the OP that having a larger talent pool of applicants to choose from should, in general,  be better than having a smaller pool of talent to choose from.  This to me makes common sense and allows the CAF to choose the most highly qualified applicants for each position on a case-by-case basis.  If we use the reductio ad absurdum argument that a smaller pool is better (only x applicants for x available positions, with applicants perfectly matched on their applications for their desired MOSIDs), we could in an extreme situation be forced to enrol every applicant that applied regardless of "talent" (by being forced to lower enrolment standards).

[cue the refrains of "good riddance, they lacked dedication"]  Also, in an ideal world a shorter flash-to-bang from applicant-to-job offer is better.  Some highly qualified applicants to the CAF have gotten discouraged by the lengthy recruiting centre process, given up, and moved on to other opportunities. [/cue off]

We do not live in a ideal world, and yes, vetting applications costs money.  And yes, we can argue whether or not the "best and the brightest" choose private industry over public service.  But I find fallacious the argument that a smaller applicant pool is better than a larger applicant pool.

Sir Dip a lot said:
LOL

Theres obviously nothing that could be said to change your minds...not even sure why I tried. I guess I thought you guys were reasonable and logical people. It is a fact that more people considering serving their country would be a good thing....you guys can say whatever you want against that point but dont worry i actually wont be posting anymore

The mob wins haha mob mentality is a good thing right?

Goodnight and I stress GOODLUCK

Yup, I guess the unemployed business grad without a lick of CF service sure schooled us on our organization human resources needs.  ::)

Other than this vague notion that somehow too many people aren't considering the CF- which is irrelevant, given that our resources deployed as-is have delivered our needed manning without incurring the opportunity cost necessary to attract the reluctant - you're still saying a lot without actually saying a lot.

But if you want to take your ball and go home, you go right ahead there sparky.

You can hold your 'good luck'... I've already been in the CF for a very enjoyable mine years, and have already been successful in my application to move on to the next thing in my life.

Kat Stevens said:
No need to wish me luck, good luck to you, I already got in and did my time.  Is it exhausting for you to ALWAYS be the smartest kid in the room?

Lol it was so I skipped a couple grades to resolve that

CombatDoc said:
I'm quite surprised at the emotion and vitriol that this post has generated in such a short time.  In today's global knowledge economy there is competition for the best qualified employees, and although nobody has mentioned it, Canada is facing significant post-baby boom demographic challenges with its workforce.

I have to agree with the OP that having a larger talent pool of applicants to choose from should, in general,  be better than having a smaller pool of talent to choose from.  This to me makes common sense and allows the CAF to choose the most highly qualified applicants for each position on a case-by-case basis.  If we use the reductio ad absurdum argument that a smaller pool is better (only x applicants for x available positions, with applicants perfectly matched on their applications for their desired MOSIDs), we could in an extreme situation be forced to enrol every applicant that applied regardless of "talent" (by being forced to lower enrolment standards).

[cue the refrains of "good riddance, they lacked dedication"]  Also, in an ideal world a shorter flash-to-bang from applicant-to-job offer is better.  Some highly qualified applicants to the CAF have gotten discouraged by the lengthy recruiting centre process, given up, and moved on to other opportunities. [/cue off]

We do not live in a ideal world, and yes, vetting applications costs money.  And yes, we can argue whether or not the "best and the brightest" choose private industry over public service.  But I find fallacious the argument that a smaller applicant pool is better than a larger applicant pool.

I never said anything of the sort, I merely stated the FACT (a much beloved word in this thread)  that we already had many more applicants than we do positions.  You can't have it both ways, either you process a larger group of applicants, or you process the ones you have faster.  The sausage machine can only grind so fast.

Brihard said:
Yup, I guess the unemployed business grad without a lick of CF service sure schooled us on our organization human resources needs.  ::)

Other than this vague notion that somehow too many people aren't considering the CF- which is irrelevant, given that our resources deployed as-is have delivered our needed manning without incurring the opportunity cost necessary to attract the reluctant - you're still saying a lot without actually saying a lot.

But if you want to take your ball and go home, you go right ahead there sparky.

You can hold your 'good luck'... I've already been in the CF for a very enjoyable mine years, and have already been successful in my application to move on to the next thing in my life.

Haha i felt like i was crying out that the world was round!

Your maturity level is astounding. I'm certainly glad mature people like you are considering enlisting in our national forces. If you've abandoned all attempt at logical discourse, why don't you go and do as you said you would, and stop posting? Otherwise you're simply heaping more silliness on top of the pile.

Chelomo said:
Your maturity level is astounding. I'm certainly glad mature people like you are considering enlisting in our national forces. If you've abandoned all attempt at logical discourse, why don't you go and do as you said you would, and stop posting? Otherwise you're simply heaping more silliness on top of the pile.

I kept it civil

Merely made a couple jokes...not like anyone makes jokes on here or anything...

I kept trying to but everyone was chiming in so I had to stand my ground

Back